Job opening – Lead Researcher
JOB POSTING – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Role: Lead Researcher
Level of Effort: FTE
Contract Position: 2 Years with a possibility of extension
Base: Washington, DC
Employed by: Institute for Development Impact (I4DI)
About the company
The Institute for Development Impact (I4DI) is an international consulting group based in Washington, DC specializing in global development effectiveness. With a broad-based expertise and network of affiliated consultants, I4DI provides tailored, high quality program and organizational effectiveness consulting services around the world, covering the entire project cycle from concept through implementation to evaluation and research
Institute for Development Impact (I4DI) is looking for a researcher to lead and manage it’s research and evaluation portfolio. The incumbent will be expected to work under minimal supervision, conducting or leading field teams in carrying out the range of evaluation and research related tasks.
The Lead Researcher will be responsible to lead and manage –concurrent evaluation / research processes – including study design, evaluability assessment, literature review, identification of and training of field research teams, data quality control, analysis, compilation of findings and production of final products, including reports. Specifically, the incumbent will be able to apply independent judgment in designing research methods and/or adapting scientific techniques to produce research instruments and direct field based data collection procedures. S/he will demonstrate and train field research teams in the proper use of instruments, planning and implementation of data collection protocols, data quality assessments and control, analysis and interpretation of findings. The incumbent will be working with statisticians and technical experts to process, analyze and interpret results of studies.
This is a full time position.
The Lead Researcher will lead the I4DI research and evaluation portfolio by performing the following technical and management activities:
- Lead design and implementation of social research and evaluative studies (such as baselines, process, performance, outcome and impact evaluations or meta-analysis across different programs).
- Manage all field based data collection planning, preparation and implementation processes, including training of field teams and data quality assurance.
- Ensure coherence of technical approach and standardization of effort across projects and teams responsible for implementation of different components of the work and enable expertise of team members.
- Efficiently and effectively use technical and financial resources by leveraging existing best practices in social research, monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide technical support and carry out the design and support implementation in the field (regions include: Africa, Asia, Latin America, South-Eastern Europe) work, as needed.
- Act as a technical liaison and manage interface with clients or project donors and implementing partners as well as other stakeholders.
- Provide financial and administrative management excellence by collaborating with I4DI’s financeI4D’s program management and financial staff to leverage knowledge and expertise; and,
- Represent the company’s expertise through various mechanisms that reach beyond clients, such as publications, conferences, technical communications, and testimony.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a mid to senior-level research specialist, with 5-10 years of experience in leading the development and implementation of research activities and large to mid-scale monitoring and evaluation projects in the international development arena.
- Have the technical knowledge needed to both design research methods, instruments and protocols, as well as the ability to project manage and provide leadership to a diverse team of field based people based in multiple organizations and geographical contexts.
- Have an understanding of current evaluation methods and approaches as well as modern debates. Understanding of USAID’s rules and regulations governing and guiding evaluative exercises will be a plus.
- Be able to manage and motivate diverse technical teams and transfer skill and knowledge.
- Have a proven track record in and be able to quickly implement technical and administrative start up after award.
- Minimum Master’s degree in appropriate fields
- Fluent in French, Spanish or Arabic preferable
- Highly functional in basic office software applications, and knowledgeable of contemporary technology based data collection / management applications.
- Excellent English communication and writing skills